Campspot is a partner before, during, and after your trip. Keep all your reservations in one spot with an account, save campgrounds for future trips, and browse out Camp Guide for tips and camping hacks.
- Work in the shade if possible or wash early in the morning before the temperature gets too hot. A hot surface causes the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly increasing the likelihood of water spotting.
- Park on a slight incline to allow rinse water to run off moldings, trim, and recessed areas better.
- Wash tires & wheels first. If you clean the RV first, when you wash the wheels you’ll probably spatter cleaners, dirt and brake dust on already cleaned panels around the wheel wells.
- Start by thoroughly wetting the RV with a medium spray of water to remove loose grit and surface dirt.
- Wash from the top down and rinse the RV often. Frequent rinsing is especially important.
- Use a detergent specifically formulated for automotive or RV use. Follow the directions on the bottle for the proper mix ratio. Using too much soap is wasteful and may leave a soap residue on the surface.
- Most RVers use a scrub brush with an extension handle. You will want one with soft bristles and lots of them so the brush will hold lots of soapy water.
- Sheepskin wash mitts keep grit away from the surface and should last for years. 100% cotton chenille wash mitts and pads are also excellent but will need to be replaced from time to time.
You may also want to read the following articles on RVbasics.com
RV Repair and Maintenance Manual: Updated and ExpandedThe most popular resource for RVers who prefer to work on their own RVs. Featuring step-by-step procedures for maintaining and repairing RVs, in easy-to-understand layman’s terms and simple-to-follow instructions. Includes topics on electrical systems, LP-gas systems, water systems, sanitation systems, AC generators, heating systems, air-conditioning systems, refrigerators, trailer brakes, trailer suspensions, dinghy towing, hitches, drivetrain systems, solar power systems, ovens and ranges, microwaves and ice makers, exterior and interior care, and accessories.