De-winterizing your RV’s fresh water system involves removing all traces of the RV antifreeze used to protect the water system.
- Put several gallons of water into the fresh water tank.
- Turn on the on-board water pump, and open a cold water tap. Allow the water to flow for several minutes.
- Connect the water hose to your city water supply inlet. Turn on the supply.
- Open all cold water taps one by one and allow the water to flow for several minutes.
- Flush the toilet several times.
- Open the water heater bypass and fill the water heater with fresh water. Allow a few gallons to flow through the water heater by running water through all the hot water faucets one faucet at a time.
If you stored your RV over the winter the propane gas system may develop some air in the lines. When taking your RV out storage it’s a good idea to purge the air and check that everything is working properly. You should preform the following check well in advance of your planned vacation to allow time for any repairs.
- Open the propane cylinder valves.
- Light one of the stovetop burners. This purges the most of the air from the system and is a visual check that propane is present.
- Once the stove burner flame is steady, light all burners and check for a consistent blue flame. Turn off the stove burners and light the oven. It should burn with a blue flame. Turn off the oven.
- Check the water heater, furnace and refrigerator. Make sure the refrigerator and water heater are set to operate on propane as you check for proper operation.
“RV Electrical Systems: A Basic Guide to Troubleshooting, Repairing and Improvement” covers both AC and DC electrical systems and is another must have. Excellent 12 volt coverage and the best source on 120 volt AC systems. If it’s not covered in this book, you can probably get along without it. The authors go into extraordinary detail without getting into engineering “lingo” and they tell you things nobody else does, and those things many authors assume you already know — that you don’t. RV Electrical Systems is available at Amazon.