Pets are a big part of people’s lives and RVers are no exception. There are many pets of various kinds that travel to all parts of the country to be with their owners. Some pets, dogs and tropical birds for instance, actually seem to enjoy the scenery and like to visit different places.
For those of you who cannot imagine traveling without your pets here are a few tips for RV life on the road with your feathered or furry friends.
Pre-trip your pet’s paperwork:
- Update vaccinations
- Gather up medical records, rabies certificate, license and insurance papers if you have him insured, medications and prescriptions.
- Make sure you have a color photograph of your pet to take along.
Your pet’s personal paraphernalia (as needed for type of pet):
- Collar and tags
- At least two leashes
- Grooming equipment
- First aid supplies … include flea/tick repellent
- Travel crate/cage
- Bedding material
- Favorite toys
- Food and water bowls/containers
- Ample food that pet is used to
- Pooper scooper bags
- Extra towels and cleaner for mishaps or bad weather
- Special treats
- When making reservations at a campground, park or resort be sure they permit pets.
- When arriving ask about pet areas, and the location of veterinary services if your pet has health issues.
- Read the park’s pet rules and follow them.
- There are always some strange people that do not like pets, but you need to respect their rights anyway.