Last updated on April 13th, 2015 at 08:20 pm
Have you experienced water weeping or dripping from your water heater? Most likely the drip is coming from the pressure and temperature (P&T) relief valve as the water heater is operating. When the pressure of the water system gets too high the P&T valve will relieve the excess pressure.
The tank is designed to have an air pocket at the top that compresses as the water expands to keep the pressure within limits. Over time that air gets absorbed by the water and the water fills the tank.
To replenish the air pocket:
- Turn off the water heater and let the water in the tank cool.
- Turn off the cold water supply line.
- Open a hot water faucet in the RV.
- Pull out the handle of the pressure relief (P&T) valve and allow water to flow from the valve until it stops.
- Release the handle on the P&T valve – it should snap closed.
The air pocket should be reestablished. Repeat this procedure as often as needed to minimize the weeping of the P&T valve.
The RV Care & Maintenance DVD addresses issues like: information on the proper care and maintenance for the interior of your RV, the exterior of your RV, RV appliances, LP gas system, water system, electrical system, RV generators, RV batteryís, chassis & frame and RV tires. Let RV expert Mark Polk, help you to thoroughly understand how to take care of your RV. Watch as many times as you need to.