This is High Season for RVers visiting Quartzsite and it can be nearly impossible to find a site in an RV park so most RVers plan to dry camp in the desert on BLM land.
If you are planning to stay in Quartzsite for just a few days you will probably want to stay in one of the free camping areas.
Quartzsite BLM – Free Camping
Free camping not to exceed 14 days in a 28-day period is permitted in non-fee Quartzsite BLM areas:
- Plomosa Road: Take 95 north of Quartzsite to the Plomosa Road turnoff. The free camping areas are on the north and south sides of Plomosa Road.
- Hi Jolly/MM112: Head about 3 miles north of Quartzsite on US Highway 95 at mile marker 112 on right side.
- Dome Rock Mountain: West from Quartzsite about 6 miles. Take I-10 west to the Dome Rock exit. Camping is south of the Frontage Road (Kuehn Street).
- Scaddan Wash: About 3.5 miles east of Quartzsite. Take the I-10 Frontage Road from the mile marker 19 exit east. The camping area is south of the Frontage Road (Kuehn Street).
- Road Runner: This Quartzsite BLM camping area is on the west side of US 95, about 5 miles south at mile marker 99 on US Highway 95.
Quartzsite BLM – Long Term Visitor Areas
Planning to stay in Quartzsite for a while? Your best bet is to camp in the La Posa Long Term Visitor Area (LTVA). You’ll find it South of I-10, and running on both sides of Route 95 .
FACILITIES PROVIDED: 10 vault toilets (handicap accessible), dry dump station, dump station with water, water station (eight faucets), trash services, some paved / improved roads, dance floor and ramada.
FEES / PERMITS REQUIRED: A Long Term Visitor Area Permit is required from September 15th through April 15th each season. The cost is $180.00 and is valid for up to 7 months. A Short Term Permit can be purchased for a 14-day stay. This permit is $40.00. Permits may be purchased at LTVA entrances or at the BLM Yuma Field Office located at 2555 E. Gila Ridge Road in Yuma.
The La Posa LTVA is divided into 4 sections. Each has it’s own entrance:
- La Posa West is just south of the RV Show Big Tent.
- Across the street from the West section is the North section of the La Posa LTVA.
- Further south along the west side of Route 95 is the entrance to the south section of La Posa LTVA.
- Across Hwy 95 from La Posa South is the Tyson Wash section.
Get Great RV Tech Tips from 10-Minute Tech, Volume 2 Over 600 Time and Money Saving Ideas from Fellow RVers.